Wednesday 4 May 2011

Apple Pola/ Apple Kums (A Malabar Apple Cake / Pudding)



The recipe of Apple pola was given to me by one of my best friends Sufaija. She is just like me, someone who loves desserts. As with any Malabar dessert/sweet recipe like chatti pathiri, Mutta Marichathu, Plantain cake (Kaayi Pola), Pazham Nirachathu,  Unnakkaaya, muttamaala, panneer petty etc this one is also an egg based one and have lot to do with eggs. I had just made this apple pudding once for the sake of trying as the recipe was very simple. I thought it was nice but not something I would crave for often like I do for chocolates. But I am forced to prepare this again and again as my son and hubby loves it!!


I made this couple of months back and then completely forgot about  the recipe. I wouldn’t even have put up this recipe here if my son had never asked me for it. But last week, after the school my son just started asking me for apple squares and I thought he was asking me for some squares he had at school. At first I gave him apples cut in square shape. He dint take it and kept on asking me for apple squares. He then told me it is a cake and he had it from home!!!And it was only this apple cake that I made recently and nothing else and maybe I gave him saying it was apple square!The cake is cut in squares and not wedges. He loves this cake and I this is one way to get him eat eggs as he hates eggs in any other form.


The cake is more like a pudding, soft, moist, fluffy, but not spongy like our normal cakes. It can be eaten warm or at room temperature. This cake does not keep well and should be eaten within a day or two and is normally served along with evening tea. It is very important to set the heat to minimum as the cake gets burnt quickly. You can see that in few of my pictures that the cake is over browned as my son was impatient and hungry so had to turn up the heat a bit and the cake browned much further than it should! The recipe is very simple and very flexible. You can reduce or increase the amount of sugar, flour, eggs and milk powder in the recipe and yet get the same result. I have been making this quite a few times now and always used different measurements and yet you get a good cake.

This recipe als goes for the Kerala kitchen event hosted by sarak of spoonful of delight.


Apple Pola/ Apple Kums (A Malabar Apple cake / pudding)
Serves 4-5

Ingredients:
3 - 4 small eating apples or 2 large ones Around 350g - 450g
4-5 large eggs
¼ - 1/3 cup caster sugar
¼ cup Milk powder
¼ cup Plain flour
½ teaspoon vanilla essence or ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder

Preparations:

1.Peel and core apples and cut into rough chunks. Throw them into the blender along with sugar, milk powder and eggs. Blend them for a minute until smooth and pale yellow in colour.

2. Add vanilla essence and plain flour and blend until mixed well.

3. Place a Take a non-stick deep sauce pan (I used a deep 7 inch pan,but the size doesn’t really matter), grease it well using ghee. I also placed a greased baking paper as my cake always tends to stick to the pan. Set the heat to the lowest possible.

4. Pour the batter in the pan, cover it tightly with a lid and cook for about 20-25 minutes or until the top part looks set. If the bottom and the side part is browning quickly, you can place a simmer plate underneath to avoid further browning. Make sure the flame is set to lowest as it browns too quickly if kept on higher heat.

5. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan, before flipping it over to another plate. If using baking paper, you can just pull out the baking paper, holding all its sides. This can be served hot or warm. It should be eaten on the day it’s made and could be refrigerated for the next day use.

Sufaija’s Recipe:

1 Apple
2 eggs
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp plain flour
2 Tbsp Milk powder

Preparation:

1. Blend all in a blender and cook it in a well greased non-stick frying pan or sauce pan. With this amount, it makes a very small cake, so you will need a very small pan of 4-6 inches wide.

33 comments:

Sarah said...

These are new to me... Im sure they were yummy! love the pics

divya said...

Wowww... Truly delicious.. looks simply amazing..

Unknown said...

This looks delightful, love the texture.

Unknown said...

yum, wow, very new name, recipe, looks superb :)

Priya Suresh said...

Pudding looks irresistible,wat a wonderful texture...

Sushma said...

that reminds me of apple cake yummy

cook from doha said...

love anything vth apples.........this looks easy.....wll try 4 sure....

Zareena said...

Looks lovely. Never had this before, will try this.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

rich n delicious...
do drop in my blog too..:)
Tasty Appetite

Unknown said...

yummy da..ninte snaps kalakki..innu njn ithu parikshikkunnundu..:)

Vineetha Sush said...

Happy to see a UK - mallu blogger .First time in ur space,good to see all malabar specials !

Aarthi said...

This looks so good..Can i get a piece of that to taste...Loved your pictures...

If you have time just check my blog and follow me..
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Hasna said...

oh...wow...i didn't c ths..ve never tried also...i thnk ths s the same as carrot pola... ll try soon..insha allah..

Portugal said...

I have been looking out good information about this matter for some time and I got to say you put up provides me some general concept about my paper I'm going to write for my assignment. I would like copy some of your phrases right here and I hope you don't mind. Thanks. I'll reference your work of course. Thank you. Hold updating the great posts.

Plateful said...

Hey Shabs, I'm loving the sound and looks of this recipe. Will come back to try it. Soon, inshaAllah.

Unknown said...

wow, that is an amazing cake!you have me in drools!

Mehjabeen Arif said...

Oh Beautiful Cake.. Love that it does not have any fat in it.

New to ur space and Happy to follow u.
Do visit me as time permits
http://comeletseat.blogspot.com

My Kitchen Antics said...

this looks so so yum, but milk pwd illa..what can i use instead??

Shabs.. said...

Try omitting it and making da...I think it would still work.

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Shab
How are you? Sorry I am not being able to visit blogs for some time..but just cant forget all my blog friends, from whom I have learnt so many dishes.
I like this dish,,never had any thing like this before.
Let me see what all I have missed. There is no new post at my blog , so relax , ha ha '
Have a nice weekend

Rose from Magpies Recipes said...

oh my gosh Shabs! this looks sooo good! I have never even heard of it and now I HAVE to try it!

Binitha said...

very different and interesting recipe. I should try it.
I'm following you
Do check my blog when time permits.
Cheers,
yourstastefully.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Do you think we can cook this microwave ,or steam it in a pressure cooker.Please reply

Cheers
Anzi

Shabs.. said...

Hi anzi,
I am not sure about microwave, but you can cook it in pressure cooker. grease well.

Tastyveedu said...

Hey,jus tried dis out 2day n it came it out really soft n yummy!thks a ton!!

Noor Nazar said...

I first made the Apple kums during Ramadan. It was a huge huge hit amongst my family. I make it so often these days. There are more kums recipes - pineapple, bananas, kadala parippu etc. which I have had many times from kerala. But, I dont have any recipes for them. If you could post various kums recipes, then it would be wonderful for people like me. Thanks a ton!!! :)Keep up the good work.. I am a big fan of yours!

Shabs.. said...

Noor Nazar....thank u..banana kumzs is already on blog by the name plantain cake....I make kadalapparippu cake which is my fave, also apple pola....Pineapple pola is new to me....Will make and post them when time allows.

Rafeeda AR said...

this is bookmarked to try... nice to know u have a frnd called sufaija, that's my sister's name as well.. actually it's a rare name so when i read it, i was quite surprised... :)

Reshmi said...

Hi,


Nice recipe and loved the pics.I tried it Yesterday..but since the pan was big for the given recipe(1 apple) it turned out very thin.Also the middle part came up very quickly and as a result the cake was brown in the sides and not that cooked in the middle..how can i get a cake as it is given here...should i add more maida?can u give me the maida and milk powder ratio?

Shabs.. said...

Hi Reshmi,
If it is getting browned to quickly, you can use a simmer plate under your pan, which will prevent direct heat from the fire and less browning. There is no maida-milk powder ratio as such. You can add more of both if needed. I used a very small pan (6 inch) to make the cake with the amount of things given here. You can double the recipe here if you are using a bigger pan.
Shabs.

shafna rahman said...

its really delicious....me my hubby n baby luvd it alot....my baby (now 2 n half year old boy)s too weak in eatng food,but he ate this puddng askng again n again.im going to prepare it again 2day...tanx alot shabs...i also luvd ur other preperations..

Nilofer said...

Hi Shabs.. I am your regular visitor. I have tried some of your recipes. This one turned out well was very tasty...my baby also loved it and your pics are lovely ..

Nilofer said...

Hey saw your apple pola pic in this site.. for carrot pola..
http://food.sulekha.com/carrot-pola-id27049-43063-recipe.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...